21 Feb It’s Never too Late to Follow a Dream
“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” – Confucius
Words by Kate James
A good friend of mine has been a passionate photographer for as long as I’ve known her. When we were young, her dream was to make photography her career but it never seemed like the right time to walk away from her well-paid corporate role.
Last year, she became ill and was forced to take three months off work. When she was well enough to get out of the house, she made a decision to take her camera with her wherever she went. Being creative, like being in nature, is incredibly healing and her illness was a reminder that she needed to make more time for both of those things.
Over the next couple of months, she took literally thousands of candid shots around her neighbourhood, capturing the people and places that were part of her every day. She started to notice fascinating details and beauty everywhere. It was a simple exercise that gave her absolute clarity about what she needed to do next.
At 46, she quit her job and did what she’d dreamed of doing for almost thirty years.
It’s been two years since then and my friend still takes photos every day. She now runs her own little photography business and while it’s taken a while to build her income, she said to me recently, ‘The money doesn’t matter because I spend every day doing what I love.’
It’s not always possible to make a dramatic change in your life immediately but it’s never too late to follow a dream. Even if it can’t be full time, make time to pursue the things that you love.
Try these tips to start following your dream:
1. Put aside one afternoon every weekend (or at the very least, one afternoon each month) to do something you love.
2. Find a ‘dream chasing’ friend and meet every month to keep each other motivated.
3. Keep a notebook with you every day to capture inspiring ideas about your dreams.
4. Meditate – it’s great for creativity and for connecting with intuition.
5. Scare yourself daily. Being courageous builds courage – do small things that take you out of your comfort zone every day.
6. Take any kind of action step. Sometimes dreams come to life in the most unexpected ways. Just get out there and do things that are new and different.
Kate is a Premium member of Business Chicks, request her online business card and connect with her here
Original article can be found here: www.businesschicks.com.au/articles/featured/its-never-too-late-to-follow-a-dream